PRINCIPAL, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
John has over 42 years of providing professional architectural design and planning services for a wide variety of clients and 25 years as principal of Legerton Architecture. John has been a member of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) for the past 35 years. His ongoing interest in energy efficient and sustainable technologies has included membership on the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), the WNC Green Building Council, and in the International Solar Energy Society (ISES). John is also an engaged citizen in the greater Asheville community. For eight years, he served on the Asheville City Board of Education, with four years as Board Chair, and has served as Board Liaison to many committees and other organizations focused on student achievement and healthy school development.
At Legerton Architecture, John has been the Principal Architect, a project manager, and planner for over 600 residential, educational, commercial, institutional, and industrial client projects.
- University of Pennsylvania (Wharton School, Social Systems Science Program) Courses in Strategic Planning, 1982.
- University of Pennsylvania (Graduate School of Fine Arts) Master of Architecture, 1979 (Teaching Fellow) 1978.
- Georgia Institute of Technology (College of Architecture) Bachelor of Science with Honors, 1975; Omicron Delta Kappa (leadership & scholastic honorary society) and Tau Sigma Epsilon (architectural honorary society).
- North Carolina and South Carolina architectural licenses
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB)
- American Institute of Architects
- U.S. Green Building Council LEED Accredited Professional, Building Design + Construction Specialty